Saturday, September 27, 2008

Standoff - Shanghai'd (2006)



http://www.imdb.com/video/hulu/vi708771865/

I was very excited when I found the full episode of Standoff - Shanghai'd is viewable from IMDB. I enjoyed it very much.

But this is the stereotypical Asian American image that Sung'd rather avoide, I suppose. I read an article about Sung saying he had a hard time accepting this. But since it is not really up to him how "Asian American" is portrait in the mainstream TV shows or movies, if Sung does not take this the role, it will be simply taken by some other Asian American actor.

I'm not really sure how it is like being an Asian Americn actor or actress in California, but I remember reading an article about Asian Americans over-representing themselves in media, especially in IT related ads. Computre geeks = Asians. Being an Asian itself already brings pre-defined characteristics, to which sponsors invest.

In my opinion, it is just a matter of the time. I see more and more 2nd or 3rd generation Asian Americans who are not stereotypical at all and people here in US get used to it. But for the poeple in outside US who also watch Holloywood movies regularly may not get used to it as much. I've seen many Asians (well, people I know most are mainly Japanese, though) still believe Americans = WASP. We can see Asians in Asian movies, which we also watch very frequently. Why do we need to see Asians in American movies? -- this may be a question from outside USA. And for the show business industry, the market outside USA is getting even more important than domestic one.

Don't quote on me! I'm just writing whatever comes up on my mind. It does not based on any seriour research. The bottom line is, as always, I want to see Sung Kang in many more TV shows or movies.

3 comments:

padillamorquecho said...

Hey Mari...Its me again i was just going to ask u if u seen standoff. I liked it i really loved his voice...anyway sung plays the bad boy. Just think there only four month till ninja assassin .P.S> sorry he didn't show next time ...

Mari said...

Hi, padillamorquecho!
How was your weekend? Mine is still going on 'cuz i took Monday and Tuesday off. :) yeah... Ninja Assassin is coming up soon. I can't wait! Sung seems to be very busy these days. Hope everything is great with him...

Anonymous said...

ERYKAH BADU WILL BE IN FAST X TO JOIN DOMINIC TORETTO TEAM IN FAST X