Sunday, March 16, 2008

Better Luck Tomorrow (2002)

http://www.betterlucktomorrow.com/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280477/

I think this is the original movie in which Justin Lin let Sung Kang play "Han." I heard Justin saying that Han in FFTD may or may not be the same Han in BLT. It is totally up to the viewer, but it is kind of an inside joke.

I did not know about this movie until after I start researching Sang Kang's works. I was just one of those millions of girls who fell in love with Han in FFTD. After I watched this movie, yes, once again, I fell in love with Han. I enjoyed the movie a lot as well. But to be honest, I felt a little sad that I am not one of those twinky kinds. I am an Asian who live in the states, but I am not an Asian American. This movie reminded me some of twinkies's nasty attitudes toward Asians from Asia like me. It is not really mentioned in this movie, but I just caught it. Even after I heard Justine is not actually an ABC and I do love Sung Kang, I still feel a distance from those Asian kids who speaks English natively.

This may sound contradicting, but I did enjoyed this movie a lot and very excited about potential of the staffs of this movie in the main stream industry. I want to see more and more this type of films, featuring Asian American kids. Well, I guess I'm not trying to be one of them. But it's just good to see them doing good. Kind of hard to explain...


I guess this movie is not meant to be created for Asians only, anyway.

By the way, I heard that Sung had a strong desire to play Ben's role in this movie, but Justin had to persuade Sung to play Han. I kind of understand Sung sees himself fitting Ben's role after I know more about him, but I think Justin was right. Sung = Han. But my most favorite character Sung played in his past films is still Cole Kim in Finishing the Game because Cole was more like a looser type. I think I like someone who can enjoy being somewhere in between. Han in both BLT and FFTD is not like that.


No comments: